09 February 2011

ABA birds

I'm only copying a friend's idea for a blog post... but considering I haven't posted on my blog in several months, maybe it's forgivable?


As many birders know, the American Birding Association (ABA) puts out a checklist every once-in-a-while that also has a 1-6 scale ranking the difficulty of finding any particular species (you can see the ABA checklist at: http://www.aba.org/checklist/abachecklist.pdf).  The lower the number, the easier the bird should be to find.  With that in mind, here are some species I'm still searching for....


Code 1 (n = 1):
Storm-Petrel, Leach's     


Code 2 (n = 32):
Goose, Emperor 
Snowcock, Himalayan
Petrel, Mottled
Shearwater, Buller's
Shearwater, Black-vented
Storm-Petrel, Ashy
Storm-Petrel, Black
Cormorant, Red-faced
Plover, Common Ringed
Curlew, Bristle-thighed
Kittiwake, Red-legged
Noddy, Brown
Tern, Bridled
Tern, Aleutian
Tern, Roseate
Murrelet, Kittlitz's
Auklet, Parakeet
Auklet, Least
Auklet, Whiskered
Auklet, Crested
Parakeet, White-winged
Owl, Spotted
Nighthawk, Antillean
Vireo, Black-capped
Vireo, Black-whiskered
Warbler, Arctic 
Bluethroat
Thrush, Bicknell's
Thrasher, Le Conte's
Myna, Common
Bunting, McKay's
Warbler, Colima
Oriole, Spot-breasted  


As you can see, I'm hurting most with my lack of seabirds/alcids.  Considering how violently ill I become on any boat, I doubt I'll see them anytime soon.


This list reminds me of my "nemesis" list... birds I've tried for and missed (sometimes many times!).  If I had to pick the top 5 from the above list, they would be:


Spotted Owl
Le Conte's Thrasher
Spot-breasted Oriole
Bluethroat
Arctic Warbler


I might continue to work on this later and post a list of the Code 3s I need.  Stay tuned....