22 July 2011

Shorbs

I haven't done much birding lately.  When I get outside, I've been focusing on butterflies and dragonflies more these days.

Despite this, I do have an update of sorts.

First and foremost, I was happy to see some shorebirds down in Polk County recently.  I found most of the shorebirds at the Polk City Wildlife Area.  Walking out along the backside of the main pond was most productive.  From here, you can see the shorebirds on both ponds (as I'm doing here):

Here I saw:

Killdeer
Semipalmated Plover (2)
Spotted Sandpiper (3)
Solitary Sandpiper (2)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (15)
Least Sandpiper (75)
Pectoral Sandpiper (25)

Also of note, I had a PINE SISKIN at the Butterfly Garden near the Saylorville dam vistor center.  At this point in the year, one has to wonder if it was a breeder or not.  However, the BBA early/late date document shows a late date of 15 JULY so I guess I won't add it.

I saw my first obvious sign of fall migration in my neighborhood this morning; a LEAST FLYCATCHER:

Also, this BELTED KINGFISHER has been swooping back-and-forth along my yard for the last several days: